Hi everyone

General discussion

Re: Hi everyone

Postby sebbie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi, Amy! It's good to hear from you. I remember playing at your house and how I thought it was neat how that path went down the side of your house to your back yard. One time I told my mother I was going to your house and it was around supper time. She told me NOT to go into your house. Of course, I did. She came to your house and swatted my butt the whole way down the sidewalk. This was when we lived in the white house beside Sheldon's. I think that was the only time she ever spanked me. (Although I'm sure I deserved it more). I remember your grandmother playing the piano for Sunday School and Thelma Barnett leading us.

I also remember riding my tricycle up and down the sidewalk. I would stop at Liddy's for apple butter bread and Barbara Smith's for orange Hi-C. Barbara had a neat train lamp that when she turned it on it would look like the train was moving. Good memories!
sebbie

Postby sebbie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Raymond--Maybe Mrs. Witmer knitted something special for you instead of mittens. Like a scarf to tie around your mouth!
sebbie

Postby Sheldon Weaver » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:30 pm

sebbie,
I also got into trouble by going to the Pepples and not telling my parents where i was, i always wanted to shoot the bow. i remember Troy would shoot with us and he use to pull the string back so far it would get behind his ear. when he let go, he would yell like a little girl. I also went down to the dam with out telling them. my dad would get so mad when he would pick me up, he would drive up the alley as fast as he could and when that was not as fast as he wanted he would shake the wheel back and forth, to make it fell faster.
Sheldon Weaver

Postby Ray Mentzer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:44 pm

That's kind of where I was going with it: "What kind of stunt did I pull to lose out on the mittens?" Actually you reminded me of something. One time LuAnn was talking in class and Mrs. Witmer kept yelling at her but she wouldn't stop. Mrs. Witmer taped a napkin over her mouth but it didn't stop her. Has anyone seen LuAnn lately? I saw her at Nason few years ago when the old man was in the hospital, but that was the first and last time since we graduated.
Ray Mentzer

Postby sebbie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:18 pm

Raymond--I see LuAnn pretty often at the hospital. Next time I see her, I'll tell her about this website. She may want to check it out since she's been the topic of conversation a couple of times.

That is so funny about Troy. I wonder if he remembers that.

Didn't you walk underneath the road thru the drain pipe or whatever it's called in Pepple's yard once? Somehow, that sticks in my memory.
sebbie

Postby Sheldon Weaver » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:52 pm

Sebbie,
Yes i did walk under the road at Pepples I forgot all about that. I wish you would write a book, you have wonderfull memories, and they bring back some of my own. do you remember playing house in your cool play house in woodbury?
Sheldon Weaver

Postby sebbie » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:42 pm

Sheldon,
Yes, that was a great playhouse. We didn't know it was an old chicken coop. My dad remembers of you and I sitting on the wall beside the parking lot--that's probably when you concocted the lie of having horses. For some reason there was straw sticking out from underneath the sliding glass doors where you enter to go into the viewing area. I had never been in there and you told me you kept horses in there. I asked why I never got to see them and you said that you only got them out on Sundays when my family went to my Dad's home at Potter Creek. I probably told you that before. My dad also remembers of your mom and dad playing croquet.
sebbie

Postby JimArmour » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:32 pm

Hi. I'm Amy Pepple's uncle, Pat pepple's brother, the son of Amy's grandmother who played the piano at the Methodist
church, and I remember when my dad took Sheldon fishing. Also, my brother in law Don Pepple taught me how to properly shoot a bow. But my teachers at Woodbury grade school were Gertrude Mowry in the 5th and 6th, and Don Logue in 7th and 8th. I'm hoping that this site will be found by some of my classmates and Woodbury buddies from the 1940's and 50's. Then we will spin some stories from those good old days. Meanwhile my wife,Jody Armour, and I are enjoying your stories.

Jim
JimArmour

Postby Sheldon Weaver » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi Jim,
It's great to hear from you, I have so many great memories of you father, He did so much and had such great stories. He had a 67 or 68 Chrysler New Yorker that had a 440 in it and he would tell me how he would race guys with it. One guy in a corvette had his doors handed to him by a old guy in a old New Yorker. He would tell me about his high school and show me his swimming and diving pictures. He was so ahead of his time. I have his transon that he use on, i think the turn pike. and i remember his old Bass wagon that we would take fishing. We would all talk from porch to porch on summer nights it would go from one end of town to the other. I really loved the guy.
I would like to here more of the momeries you have of you parents and of Woodbury.

thanks
Sheldon
Sheldon Weaver

Postby Irvin L. Guyer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Hello,

I just saw this website mentioned in the Herald article about Mahoney's Store. I am thoroughly impressed with the content that is here, for having formed it so recently. The Borough set up a web-site{woodburypa.com}, several years ago, but it never developed into what I thought it should be. Ray, et allis, should be proud of what you have accomplished, thus far.
If I may be of any assistance, do not hesitate to contact me. I was born at the old Nason Hospital and lived on Hickory Bottom Road until I was 3-4, then we moved to "Town" to the same house I live in NOW. My Mom used to work at Mahoney's Store and clean house for Myra Richards. Although I was raised in New Jersey, we always came back to the Cove to visit family and friends of my parents. I remember walking from my Grandparent's house on Mill St.(Jack Baker tore it down, only the steps are marked by two wagon wheels, now) to get ice cream and penny candy at Carey's store. We didn't go to Guyer's too much, they had a different selection and as I recall the candy was more expensive. In the summer, Mr. Whetstone would always give my cousins and me chunks of ice to cool us off. I used to "collect" the pretty blue, green, purple colored glass rocks that were on the alleys in town. Enough for now.
IRV
Irvin L. Guyer

PreviousNext

Return to Blah-Blah-Blah