Hi everyone

General discussion

Re: Hi everyone

Postby Ray Mentzer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:10 pm

Welcome aboard Jim and Irvin! Glad to see some new faces. It will be interesting to hear your memories of Woodbury "back in the day", and hopefully you can connect with some old friends while making some new ones. If you have any scanned photos, clippings, or other items you'd like to contribute, just drop me an email. If you don't have a scanner, let me know and maybe we can get one of our other members to help out. We want to keep expanding this site, not only as a social nexus, but as a primary repository of town history as well. Again, welcome and we hope to hear more from both of you real soon. Ray
Ray Mentzer

Postby sebbie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:55 pm

Jim--Did you live in Alaska or is that another family member? Your mother was the sweetest woman. I remember her mostly from Sunday School at the Woodbury Methodist chuch. I remember Gertrude Mowry lived in an apartment at the Post Office Building. She always wore fancy hats to church (possibly purchased at Myra Richards)

Irv--Lester Whetstone always delivered oysters to my grandmother's house for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
sebbie

Postby Ray Mentzer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:12 am

Hello and welcome to the site. I've been looking through Woodbury history and, so far, I haven't found anything to indicate that your house was a funeral home, although it's possible. The coffin shops and such were at the other end of town and the Byers funeral home was in the same location as Weaver's is now. According to census records, George Kauffman was in the dry goods, business; he is also listed as a "wool peddler" in the 1880 census. I'll keep looking and let you know if I come up with anything.
Ray Mentzer

Postby JimArmour » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:12 pm

Sebbie- No, I did not live in Alaska, but my brother Jack Armour did. What is your last or maiden name, and in what years did you know my mother at the Methodist church?. In 1949and 50 we called Mrs. Mowry 'Gerty' and I'm not sure where she lived. I do remember her hats. I also remember the paddle she used to spank one of us 5th or 6th graders when we misbehaved. I got it once for telling her that she was mispronouncing the word 'copilot'. I got spanked even though I was right! Back in those days we also stole apples from an orchard there in town which I think was owned by one of the elderly ladies..was it Myra Richards?

Jim Armour
JimArmour

Postby sebbie » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi, Jim,
My maiden name was Shaffer. I have an older sister, Becky and my proper name is Sabrina (relatives and people from Woodbury still call me Sebbie). I think your niece, Amy is 2 yrs older than me. I would have known your mom in the 60's/70's. I still remember a lot of the songs we sang in Sunday School. Where was the orchard located from which you stole apples?
That's funny about Gertrude Mowry punishing you for correcting her. Can you imagine a teacher doing that now?
sebbie

Postby JimArmour » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:03 pm

sebbie..The apple orchard was across the alley behind the methodist church. Of course there are houses on that land now. It was not owned by Myra as I had speculated. My brother in-law Don Pepple reminded me that the orchard was owned by Lizzie Jones, who at that time lived in the house were he and my sister Pat now live. Lizzie was an elderly lady who in her old age was a bit senile and who constantly complained about and to the boys in town. So we teased her and 'borrowed' apples from her orchard. Oh well, boys will be boys.
Sebbie, I think Reed Shaffer is your uncle and I knew he and Willa. When they got married I was among the group that tried to 'bell' them. In those days belling consisted of capturing the groom and bride, putting them in the back of an open truck or wagon with a big bell, and then driving around the town to announce that they are getting married. But, when a group of Reed's buddies tried to capture Reed, he ran away and was never caught that night. So, Reed and Willa did not get belled. At least that's the way Don Pepple and I remember it. You might want to check the accuracy of this account with your family!

Jim Armour
JimArmour

Postby sebbie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:30 am

I'll ask Aunt Willa the next time I see her. I'm sure she remembers. Uncle Reid was a great uncle and a lot of fun. I'm not surprised that he "escaped" the belling. I have heard a lot about his antics.
sebbie

Previous

Return to Blah-Blah-Blah