Dr. Richard H. Bulger

Tributes to loved ones

Dr. Richard H. Bulger

Postby Ray Mentzer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:26 am

DR  Bulger.jpg
DR Bulger.jpg (72.88 KiB) Viewed 70733 times

RICHARD HARRISON BULGER MD, 93, of Homewood at Martinsburg, formerly of New Enterprise, died 01/31/2010 at the Home. Born 5/17/1916 in Pittsburgh the son of Benjamin H and Ethel M. (Boden) Bulger. Married M. Theresa DeFabio in 6/16/1941 at Pittsburgh. She preceded him in death, 01/06/2007.
He was a family practice physician from 1946 to 1984, and was the Medical Director of Homewood at Martinsburg from 1984 to 1997. He was a graduate of Westinghouse HS, and the University of Pittsburgh with a BS/MD. He was a member of the US Army from 1942 – 1945 and was a Battalion Surgeon with the 90th Infantry Div. in the European Theater where he received the Bronze Star and Army Commendation Medals.
He enjoyed gardening and woodworking. He was the last remaining charter member of the Cove Lions and a member of the 90 the Div. Association, AMA and NRA. He was also a past President of the NBC School board, the School Physician for Replogle and NBC schools and the past president of the Blair Co. Medical Soc. Nason Hospital Medical Staff.
Survivors: one daughter Jane of New Enterprise. Two Sons Richard Jr. and wife Marie of Martinsburg and Donald W. and wife Christine of Claysburg. Five Grandchildren John, Amy, Andrew, Jenna and Natalie and five great-grandchildren Ethan, David, Benjamin, Harrison and Ava. Preceded in death by a brother I. Walter.
Memorial Service will be announced at a later date.
Memorials maybe made to the 90th Div. Assoc. C/O James R. Reed Sr. 17 Lake Shore Dr., Willowbrook IL 60527 or charity of your choice.
Arrangements by the S. GERALD WEAVER FUNERAL HOME, Woodbury
Ray Mentzer

Re: Dr. Richard H. Bulger

Postby sebbie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:21 pm

Dear Dr. Bulger--He was so good to me.
sebbie

Postby Ray Mentzer » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:55 pm

I remember Doc (I wonder how many people knew he didn't really like being called that) used to show up at the house around Christmas every year with some type of delicious baked goods that Mrs. Bulger had made. And, of course, we would always have something for him. Every year on the first day of trout season, it was the unbending rule that first stringer of trout went to Doc. We wouldn't come directly home from fishing; we'd first head to his house to deliver the goods. It seemed like we were always trading food back and forth. Mom would come home from appointments with baskets of zucchini and tomatoes from their garden. She'd take him some venison or something that the old man shot. I'm sure it was the same way with his other patients as well. I know for a fact that he used to allow some of his patients to pay him with produce from their own gardens when they didn't have the money for office calls. He would have treated them for free, but he didn't want to make them feel bad.

Dr. Bulger was what a doctor should be. He was rough, gruff, and he didn't take crap from anyone, but he sincerely cared about his patients and did what was best for them, not what was best for his own wallet or some drug company. He wasn't in it for the money; he wanted to help people. After spending years dealing with a multitude of doctors on a daily basis, I can tell you that you'll have a hard time finding one these days who's even worthy to shine Doc's stethoscope. He was more than our doctor; he was a member of our family. The world is diminished by his passing.
Ray Mentzer

Postby Cindy Schaner » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:03 pm

He had a heart of gold and a great sense of humor. He was gruff, but that was part of his charm. He sewed up my knee on Christmas day one year when I wouldn't listen to Mom and ran out the door and slipped on the ice and cut a big gash in it. He meant a lot to our family and he brought part of it into this world. I remember once at his office I bragged about never getting sick much. He told me not to brag or someday something really bad might happen to me. I think of that often and wonder if he'll be right. Mrs. Bulger made some type of holiday bread with candied fruit in it and Jon and Teresa went nuts over toasting it. He also used to make rum balls at Christmas and bring them, too. Mom always called them "booze balls". LOL I remember the last time he came to see Mom the Christmas before she died. He gave her a big hug and lifted her right up off the floor like he always did. We were truly blessed to have had him be a part of our lives.
Cindy Schaner

Postby Sheldon Weaver » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:09 pm

My memories of Dr. Bulger I remember the relax sign above the examining table, the smell of his waiting room. how you had to yell at him so that he could hear you. He was tough and you had to be too. when i was young and missed school because i was sick, that ment i had to go to Dr. Bulger's office. needless to say i almost never missed school. what many people did not know was how soft he was inside. he truely cared. sadly i dont think he know how much his comunity cared and loved him. I loved to hear his war stories. I also remember the time i broke my arm and he put it in a splint and wrapped it in a old US army sheet. I though i was so cool.
He was a truly a great man. everyone the had him as a Dr. knew that.
Sheldon Weaver

Postby sebbie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:07 pm

I remember the sign he had in his office that said "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get"
sebbie

Return to Memorials